Anticipated Arrival at UND: 2014
Birthday: February 23rd, 1996
Hometown: Verona, WI
Profiles & Press Clippings:
- USHL 2013-14 Profile/Stat Page
- Elite Prospects Profile/Stat Page
- Brad Schlossman UND Hockey: Commitment Post
- The Scouting Report: Milano, Schmaltz Highlight AAPG (Sep 2013)
- 2013 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup: Feature Article (Aug 2013)
- The Scouting Report: Nick Schmaltz Aims To Follow In Brother's Footsteps (July 2013)
- He is the younger brother of current North Dakota defenseman Jordan Schmaltz.
- His father, Mike, and two uncles, Marc and Monte, are former Fighting Sioux football players.
- He is widely considered to be one of the top 1996 birth year players in North America.
- NHL Entry Draft eligible in 2014
- He will be playing with the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL).
- He participated in the 2013 All-American Prospects Game as one of the top American-born prospects eligible for the 2014 NHL Draft.
- In September he was listed as an A skater on the NHL Central Scouting Service's Preliminary Watchlist for the 2014 NHL Draft.
- In August he was a member of the USA Hockey Under-18 Select team that took part in the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup.
- In July he took part in USA hockey's Select 17 Development Camp, earning All-Star honors after notching a goal and two assists in six games. His camp performance was rewarded with an invite to the USA Hockey Under-18 Select Team.
- Spent the season with the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL), recording 52 points (18G, 34A) in 64 games while earning USHL All-Rookie Team honors as the top point producing 1996-born player in the USHL. In four postseason games he logged one goal and one assist.
- He began the 2011-12 season playing for the Chicago Mission U-16 Midget Minor team until an 11 game stint with the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL). He then rejoined his Chicago Mission club, which advanced to the USA Hockey Midget Minor national tournament. In the 25 games for which stats are available, he produced 46 points (23G, 23A) for Chicago Mission. In his 11 games with Green Bay he registered a goal and three assists to go along with a +7 rating.
- He competed for USA Hockey's Under-16 Select team at the 2012 Winter Youth Olympic Games January 13-22 in Innsbruck, Austria. He tied for the team lead with six points (2G, 4A) in six games.
- He participated in USA Hockey's 2011 Select 15 Development Camp and was the second leading scorer, tallying 12 points (3G, 9A) in 5 games. The US Hockey Report analysis: Center has soft hands, sees the ice very well. Gets open, and finds the open man. He’s the brother of North Dakota recruit Jordan Schmaltz. From Verona, Wisc. and Chicago Mission U16.
- He led the 2010 USA Hockey Select 14 Camp with 10 points (1G, 9A) in 5 games. US Hockey Report: Showed nice hands and a touch with the puck.
- From the fall of 2007 to the spring of 2011 he played for the Chicago Mission youth hockey program. In 115 Tier 1 Elite games with Chicago, he accounted for 190 points (91G, 99A) and 66 penalty minutes.