Anticipated Arrival at UND: 2013
Birthday: September 19, 1994
Hometown: Grand Forks, ND
Height: 5' 11"
Profiles & Press Clippings:
- USHL 2012-13 Profile/Stat Page
- Elite Prospects Profile/Stat Page
- Black & Blue: Commitment Story
- NHL.com: Hockey, Family Blend Nicely For Lincoln's Johnson (Oct 2012)
- Lincoln Journal-Star: Like Old Times-Luke Johnson Playing For Team He Grew Up With
- His father, Steve, is a former Fighting Sioux 1st-Team All-American who is currently serving as an assistant coach for the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Steve played at North Dakota from 1984-88.
- His uncle Chad Johnson, who is currently his head coach at Lincoln, played for the Fighting Sioux from 1990-93.
- He is the cousin of fellow Sioux recruit and Lincoln Star teammate Paul LaDue.
- He was ranked as a 2013 A-List player (potential first round NHL Draft pick) by NHL Central Scouting.
- NHL Entry Draft eligible in 2013.
- He currently plays for the Lincoln Stars (USHL).
- In January he participated in the 2013 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, which featured 40 of the USHL's top NHL draft eligible players. He was a teammate of fellow UND recruits Tucker Poolman and Luke Voltin on the victorious Team West, for whom he served as a team captain.
- He was a member of the gold-medal winning Team USA at the 2012 World Junior A Challenge, where he recorded four assists in four tournament games.
- Along with fellow UND recruit Keaton Thompson, he participated in the CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game September 29 in Buffalo, NY.
- He was a point-per-game performer for the Lincoln Stars, registering 55 points (20G, 35A) and a +22 rating in 55 games.
- Was a member of the Team USA Under-18 Select team that participated in the 2011 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament. He played in 5 games, scoring one goal and adding as assist.
- Participated in USA Hockey's Select 17 Development Camp in July of 2011, playing in 5 games and producing 2 points (1G, 1A) en route to earning a roster spot for the camp All-Star game.
- Played his sophomore season with Grand Forks Central (ND-HS), registering 42 points (17G, 25A) in 25 games on his way to earning All-East Region and All-State honors.
- Fall 2010: Played for Great Plains in the Upper Midwest Elite League, producing 21 points (9G, 12A) in 20 games.
- As a freshman, he produced 46 points (17G, 29A) in 27 games for the North Dakota state championship winning Grand Forks Central team and earned All-East Region honors.
- Took part in the USA Hockey Select 15 Development Camp, playing in 5 games and recording one goal and two assists.
- Played for Grand Forks Red River's North Dakota state championship team as an 8th grader and notched 26 points (9G, 17A) in 27 games.