- Taylor Chorney was placed on waivers yesterday by the St. Louis Blues and claimed today by the Edmonton Oilers. Last month Chorney was waived by the Oilers in the hope that he would clear waivers and be assigned to the Oklahoma City Barons, Edmonton's AHL affiliate. Well, it took a full month, but Edmonton has finally been able to, in very roundabout fashion, assign Chorney to Oklahoma City, where he will team with former Sioux teammate Chris VandeVelde.
- Going through a revolving door himself is Jake Marto. Marto was recalled by St. John's (AHL) last weekend and played with the IceCaps Sunday. He was reassigned back to Colorado (ECHL) Monday and played with the Eagles last night, only to be called-up by St. John's again today. He signed a two-way contract with Colorado/St. John's this summer, and with the defensive depth situation in Winnipeg right now, this might be just the beginning of Marto's interleague travels. Just yesterday Marto commented on his first AHL assignment, and now he's heading back.
- Ryan Duncan, Brett Hextall (who has missed several games due to a wrist injury) and Matt Watkins are all among Portland's (AHL) top eight point producers. Duncan leads the Pirates in scoring with 10 points (4G, 6A), and the Portland Daily Sun recently featured him and fellow Hobey Baker Award winner Andy Miele.
- Brock Nelson is one of the New York Islanders' top prospects, and Islanders Point Blank recently published a feature on North Dakota's super sophomore. It's a good piece that traces Nelson's tremendous hockey lineage, and it also includes a lot of commentary from Fighting Sioux head coach Dave Hakstol.
- If you are interested in checking out a Fighting Sioux recruit and can make it to Fargo tomorrow night, Jack Rowe and his Cedar Rapids RoughRider teammates will be in town Friday to take on the Force. Rowe played his first USHL game just last Saturday after having been been shelved all season due to injury. Tickets can be had for a handful of change due to the Force's 11/11/11 promotion: Reserved and general admission tickets are $1 between 11:11 AM and 1:11 PM Friday, while club seats and ice bar ticket prices have been reduced to $11. The one catch is that the Scheels Arena box office is the only place where you can take advantage of this great deal.
Thursday, November 10, 2011
Chorney Back to Edm/OKC, Marto Back to St. John's, Etc.
A few notes from the world of Sioux hockey: