- North Dakota lost a recruit last weekend when 1996-born forward Brendan Lemieux opted to leave the Green Bay Gamblers (USHL) for Canadian major juniors. Lemieux will sign with the OHL's Barrie Colts, thereby giving up his NCAA eligibility. He had struggled early on this season in Green Bay, who used one of their tender signings to bring Lemieux into the fold. In 11 USHL games, he registered one goal and one assist.
- Adam Tambellini has been fantastic the past two weekends for the BCHL's Vernon Vipers. Over his last four games Tambellini has put up 10 points (5G, 5A) in leading Vernon to a 3-0-1 record. In two games last weekend he recorded three goals and three assists en route to being named the BCHL Player of the Week. For the season Tambellini leads the Vipers in goals (11), assists (11), and points (22), and he is among the BCHL leaders in both goals (T-7th) and points (T-8th). The 2013 NHL Draft-eligible forward appeared on The Pipeline Show last Saturday, and during his interview he recalled his recruiting trip to North Dakota. It's definitely worth a listen.
- As detailed in this post several UND recruits are involved in a variety of national and international tournaments. Off to fast starts at the World Junior A Challenge are Wade Murphy (Canada West) and Luke Johnson (Team USA), whose teams both finished group play 2-0 and thus earned byes to the semifinal round. Johnson has registered three assists (tied for the tournament lead) in two games and he was named the 2nd Star on day one of the tournament. Murphy, meanwhile, was named the 3rd Star on day two and through two games has produced two goals and three assists. His five points are tied for the tournament lead. Both Canada West and Team USA will enjoy a day off before semifinal play starts Friday.
- Johnson's Lincoln Stars teammate Paul LaDue has picked up right where he left off last season. He is tied for the league lead among defensemen with 11 points (1G, 10A), and his ten assists are tops among league blueliners. He is a +9 this season (T-6th among all players) and is an eye-popping +45 in 67 career USHL games.
- Jack Rowe is T-4th among Cedar Rapids RoughRiders with seven points (3G, 4A) in 10 games...Tucker Poolman is T-4th among Omaha Lancers with six points (3G, 3A) in 13 games. His point total also has him T-7th among all league defensemen...Nick Schmaltz leads Green Bay with eight assists and is fourth on the team with nine points...Ryan Mantha leads Sioux City with a +5 rating...Chris Wilkie is third on the NTDP U-17 team with nine points (4G, 5A) in 12 games...Heading into the 4 Nations Tournament, Keaton Thompson was second on the NTDP U-18 team with six assists...
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Here's a bit of committed recruit news & notes, including a rundown of how some of UND's recruits have been performing thus far this season: