- The cream of the NHL free agent crop is Zach Parise, and expect his hometown Minnesota Wild to throw a substantial amount of cash his way. Parise has expressed his desire to remain in New Jersey, and Devils GM Lou Lamoriello says re-signing him is a top priority, but even with an influx of cash resulting from their deep playoff run, the team's financial instability may prove too much to overcome in order to keep their star winger. Detroit is also believed to be on his radar, and while the New York Rangers appear to have been ruled out right out of the gates, expect them to make a solid push nonetheless.
- The St. Louis Blues and TJ Oshie are expected to agree to a deal with "a little bit of term to it" after Oshie's renewed commitment and attitude pleased GM Doug Armstrong. Oshie's St. Louis teammate Chris Porter, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1st, will be looking to sign a one-way deal this offseason.
- Anaheim Duck GM Bob Murray said his team will not be looking to re-sign veteran forward Jason Blake this summer.
- Hockeybuzz expects restricted free agent Chris VandeVelde to receive a qualifying offer from the Edmonton Oilers, and they set the odds of the Oilers re-signing unrestricted free agent-to-be Taylor Chorney at 50/50.
- Toronto is expected to retain the services of winger Matt Frattin, who impressed Leafs management with his strong performance during the AHL playoffs. The National Post says Frattin will be one to keep an eye on for the Leafs next season and in the video below, the former North Dakota star discusses his first full season as a professional:
Monday, June 18, 2012
UND's NHL Free Agent Rumblings
Here are a few links concerning North Dakota alums looking to sign new deals as NHL free agents this summer: